Friday, August 30, 2013

One Final Stop: Three Weeks in Ohio!

So maybe that title is a little weird. It sounds like Ohio was just a segue between our big road trip and getting to Germany but it was so much more -- it was the longest Ellie and I stayed in one place the entire summer and greater still, it was a wonderful period of relaxation and time spent with family which I consider to be the perfect way to cap off our summer before leaving for the next several years.

The oppressive, humid weather we had when we were in Ohio just a few weeks prior in July vanished and we were blessed with gorgeous, sunny weather in the 70s for our entire stay. Beautiful weather = lots of time in Mimi and Papa's backyard.


 Better yet? The fun multiplies by three when the cousins come to play!



My sister, Kate, and her two boys, Nic and SAM, came out for two weekends to play while we were in town. I think Ellie has finally reached the age where she really enjoys playing with others and it definitely shows when she's with her cousins.  (I swear they're conspiring against us)


I tried to get a side-by-side picture of the three of them during their last weekend with us of which Ellie...


... wanted...


... no part. How does someone so sweet and loving make me so crazy sometimes?


At least I got some good pictures with the boys. I can only imagine how much they're going to grow and change while we're gone so I had to capture them as they are now.



In all their silliness -- these two make me laugh.


And a couple with my sister -- we may not always get along...


... but this sisterly love runs deep (a little verklempt here as this was their last visit and my sister was heading out the door, although I have a feeling someone's coming to visit while we're in Germany).


Loving life outdoors -- and a climate in which you can actually enjoy being outside during the summertime!






 New developments this summer: Ellie wanted to get on the big kid swing!


Oh child, you make me nervous sometimes.

 
Also, she got brave and climbed up the platform ladder to ride down the big wavy slide!




It seems my efforts to not become a helicopter parent proved futile when Ellie fell off the platform and onto the ground the one time I wasn't right next to her. There were lots of tears, but luckily no injuries. She's climbed up the ladder plenty after the fact but there were several times, as a diversion, when we played with bubbles as a safer, ground-level activity.




Who says adults can't play with bubbles? :)


My parents are very excited (and maybe just a little envious?) that we're spending the next several years in Germany, so we cranked up the traditional German music and had our own dance party in the backyard.



Look at these two lovebirds. Still dancing after nearly 35 years.


 On a side/random note, we consumed a lot of corn. Lots and lots of corn.



Ellie also got in her quota of K-Cream Corner (photo taken seconds before she dropped it ice ream-side down on the pavement. Never fear, Mimi saved the day by getting a new ice cream... in a cup).


And Hot Dog Heaven.


And Keidrowski's. In short, not only was this trip about family but apparently it was all about the food, too!


We found a local story time that we attended only once (it didn't quite measure up to our beloved Tucson story time). Although that particular week's theme was one of our favorite books: If You Give a Mouse a Cookie!


We did have fun at the adjoining park with musical instruments scattered around.



We did a lot of running, too! Ellie was a trooper and happily sat in the BOB while I got in some hard core runs. My mom, who has recently been bit by the running bug, joined us on several occasions. Two of my favorite running buddies (of course we can only look this happy and non-flushed pre-run).


Visiting Great-grandma in the nursing home -- Ellie can charm anyone into reading her a book, especially her great-grandpa.


If you're still with me, I owe you a Bretzel (the German word for their fantastic soft pretzels)! As with every visit to Ohio, I feel so lucky to have spent so much time with family and can't wait until we get to host them in Germany!

No comments:

Post a Comment