Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Backroads and Beaches Lorain County 5k/10k Run, Wine, and Dine

That's a mouthful, isn't it? On a whim, I sent in my registration for this 10k about two weeks before the run. As luck would have it, I caught a mild version of Ellie's cold the day after I sent in the paperwork and wasn't feeling up to running like I normally do. I had thought about calling the race organizers to see if I could downgrade to just the 5k, but decided in the end to just go for broke and run the 10k. Part of my reasoning in running the longer distance was that I haven't been to Oberlin since before I moved away (except for my friend's wedding photos) and really wanted to see the area. I was able to get in two runs last week at one of the local parks, and what a huge difference it makes running in temperatures in the (slightly humid) 70s instead of the Tucson heat!

On Saturday, I left while Ellie was napping and hopped in the car with my mom and brother to drive down to Oberlin for the race. This was the first time any of my family has seen me run so I was very excited to have them join me! I was a little sad to leave my girl at home, but knew she would be much happier playing with her cousins instead of strapped to a stroller waiting for mom to finish running. Once we got into town, I picked up my race packet and bib number, stretched, and snapped some pre-race pictures.


Can you spot the cheeky runner in the crowd?
 

I felt good as the race got underway. The weather was sunny but mild, with a relatively cool breeze. The first mile was a steady uphill climb to get to the bike path portion of the course. Shortly after passing the second mile marker, I turned a corner and spent another mile running into the sun, which was probably the toughest part of the race. Once I hit mile four, I knew I could easily manage the rest of the run. The last stretch took me through downtown Oberlin, among the beautiful old college buildings and city square. I made the last turn and, seeing the clock at the finish line, broke into a run to try and get the best time I could.
 

My overall time was 58:57 (since I passed the start line a few seconds after the clock started and we weren't chipped) -- four minutes faster than the 10k we ran back in May -- I felt great!


All of the runners got a post-run glass of beer or wine. I opted for the wine (after which I felt really great).


I called Brian right after the race to fill him in on my time. As I was getting off the phone, my mom waved me over to hear the top three finishers from my age group being announced. I was completely blown away when they called my name as the second place finisher in my age group!

Having an Olympic moment with my medal. :)


That glass of wine has nothing to do with my expression.
 

Thanks to my mom and brother for coming down and being such an awesome cheering section!


No comments:

Post a Comment