Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Recap of Swimming Lessons

After a relatively short two weeks of swimming lessons here on base, Ellie had her final lesson last Friday. Considering we haven't really been pool goers this summer with the exception of our Sedona trip, I have to say she ended on a high note. I also think I set some rather high expectations for such a short time period because, as I found out, there isn't much you can force on a toddler -- especially one in a swimming pool.

The first week was pretty much the same every day: Ellie clung to me like a drowning river rat, scrambling to get a good grip on me (which at times threatened to expose me to everyone at the pool), and screaming and crying if I tried to hold her at arms' length to practice floating on her back or belly. All of this wouldn't have been so embarrassing if she hadn't been the only child behaving in such a way. In hindsight I'm sure there had been a few other kids who weren't thrilled with lessons either, it just felt like mine was the only one. Her reaction was puzzling because she is usually so happy in the water. A positive note from that first week: she absolutely loved her swim instructor, Miss Miriam. Miss Miriam is a young college-age life guard from the pool, and Ellie would without fail brighten up whenever Miss Miriam came over to check on us. Ellie also learned how to get out of the pool with little assistance and she took the dunking part fairly well (also surprising considering all the above reasons).

The second week showed some improvement. Ellie seemed more comfortable in the water, but we still had our fair share of moments when she was not a happy camper. By the last day of lessons, she only whimpered a few times. Brian took her to the pool on Saturday, we all went together on Sunday and in those two days Ellie seemed the most at ease in the water we've seen to date (maybe because she saw a lot more kids in the pool during the weekend). I'm hoping to find a place off base to continue lessons so Ellie can keep improving on her comfort level being in the water and learning new swimming skills.

My only two complaints about the lessons were that we had two days when they were canceled because of chemical imbalances in the pool. While I completely understand that it happens and I in no way want Ellie in highly chlorinated water, it would be nice to have made up those days in the future. I had also hoped for more structure with the lessons, but again I'm not sure how much can be forced on children Ellie's age without making things worse. All in all, it was nice to get out of the house and into the pool on some of the hottest days we've had all summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment