Monday, March 19, 2012

Date Hike

Most dates involve dressing up, going out to dinner and maybe even seeing a movie. At the Grand Canyon, Brian and I opted for a "date hike" on the Bright Angel Trail. Instead of make-up and heels, I wore a hat, gloves, four layers on top and two on bottom. Instead of a four-course meal, we ate granola bars, beef jerky, rice snacks and stayed hydrated with our camelbaks. Not a traditional date, but the company couldn't have been better, the views were spectacular, and I wouldn't have been happier doing anything else.

After visiting the Grand Canyon two years ago, Brian and I wanted to come back and hike the trail and with my parents along for this trip, they were able to watch Ellie while we left early in the morning. The trail winds all the way from the rim  to the Colorado River at the bottom of the canyon; we were hoping to reach Plateau Point, six miles down and roughly a halfway point between the rim and the river . 

We started our hike at 6am, about a half hour before sunrise, with the temperature a brisk 24 degrees. 




It was fairly icy on some points of the trail so we moved slower than planned, but it gave us a chance to take in our beautiful surroundings.





Sunrise was unbelievable.



Two and a half hours into our hike, we made it to the 3-mile mark... half the distance to Plateau Point.




Knowing the trek back up was still ahead of us, we decided it was wise to turn around, even though it meant not reaching our original goal. The sign at the 3-mile mark said it best: "Down is optional; up is mandatory."



Our ascent was more strenuous than I anticipated, climbing one switchback after another, but it felt so rewarding when we made it back to the trail head. Coffee and hot chocolate were most definitely in order.



I took this picture from the rim when we got back. The point that sticks out towards the bottom right of the photo, lit by the sun, was our turnaround point. I think we'll have to plan an overnight trip so we can hike to the river!

Bright Angel Trail Hike Stats
Distance: 6 miles (round trip)
Starting Elevation: 6860 ft.
Elevation at the 3-mile point: 4920 ft.
Total Hike Time: 4.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment