Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Stuttgart Wine Village

I was in as soon as I heard the phrase "Wine Village." In Germany, this annual event held at the end of August/early September is known as the "Stuttgarter Weindorf," and it did not disappoint. Basically local restaurants set up full-scale restaurants along the historic Schlossplatz that feature traditional local German foods and, of course, lots and lots of wine. I'm not talking about setting up a simple tent -- I'm talking about all the trimmings, to include beautiful light fixtures above the tables and flower arrangements by your plate.




This was our first adventure solo as a family and timed it perfectly to be there on a Sunday morning/early afternoon which just-so-happens to be family day at the Weindorf. Scattered throughout the area were special events and entertainment geared toward children. Ellie enjoyed her first lollypop.



Ellie, who has previously eschewed all attempts to be served potatoes, shoveled in bite after bite of these Kartoffelpuffers (potato pancakes) served with homemade applesauce. I guess it comes down to how they're prepared.


We walked over to the Schlossplatz to allow Ellie some space to run around away from the crowds. Since we've moved here, her new fascination are fountains. She must point out each one and stop for a look.


"Another fountain!"





We spent several hours just walking around and taking in the sights...


... and smells!


Our favorite dish was a shared plate of Apfelküchle -- rings of fresh apple battered and fried like a doughnut. They were surprisingly light and served with Riesling ice cream on the side. It was heavenly paired with a glass of local Riesling wine. Having used public transportation to get into town, we considered our walk back to the hotel from the train station as a great way to work off some of what we ate and drank.


It was a really great day and wonderful way to experience what our new home city has to offer -- I look forward to many more days like this!

1 comment: