Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Another Weekend, Another Fest

That's becoming the story of our lives lately and I couldn't. be. happier. This past weekend we found ourselves driving up to Bad Durkheim, near Heidelberg, on a whim to check out their Wurstmarkt (translated = sausage market), which boasts the world's largest wine festival. As you can tell, Ellie was stoked. This is before I told her Kartoffelpuffers would be involved. :)


I'm discovering when I get home from these outings that I never take enough pictures, so I've resigned myself to looking like a complete tourist each and every time we go out. I took a few pictures while we were sitting in one of the tents to escape the rain, drinking wine, eating bratwurst and listening to the German band -- playing a Blues Brothers medley no less.



I also took a few as we were walking out by the huge graduation tower next to where the fest was held. Bad Durkheim is as well-known for its spas as it is for the wine fest and the graduation tower, with its tall walls of brushwood down which salt water constantly runs, ties into the spa mentality. Apparently the sea-like breeze that comes from these towers are supposed to have many health benefits. It's difficult to convey the enormity of this structure in pictures but take my word -- it was huge.




The sky cleared up for the drive home. We have to enjoy these moments of sunshine while we can!



No comments:

Post a Comment