Friday, April 24, 2015

Tulips, Take 2

Remember our trip to Holland last year to see the tulips, and how we got there at the very tail-end of tulip season so there really weren't very many to see? This year we decided to go back earlier in the season and I think we nailed it! We were there at the beginning/middle of the season when the tulips were in full bloom and we got to see the big tulip fields that we missed last time. We also stayed in Haarlem, which totally and completely redeemed Holland to me this time around. It's such a charming city and an all-around lovely trip.



And, in true Dutch fashion, there are bikes everywhere.


Fair warning, I took a ton of flower pictures and am having a hard time weeding (ha) through them. I couldn't help myself, I swear. Since our goal was to see tulips, tulips we saw. Our first full day took us down National Geographic's Netherlands "Flower Route." The description led us to believe there would more fields to see than there were in actuality, but we still found plenty of places to pull off and check out the blooms.






The next day, we hit up Keukenhof Gardens. This year did not disappoint! So many gorgeous flowers!



Ellie found a friend among the tulips.






Obligatory wooden shoe pictures!



Thank goodness for European playgrounds -- they're a great motivator for preschoolers (wait, did I just say preschooler?!?!).




All that playing left her a little worn out.


But not for long!






These, I think, were my favorite tulips. They looked just like silk!



Sunshine among the flowers.


Keukenhof - 1. Livi - 0.


On our way back home we quite literally passed right by my cousin's town so we were able to stop for lunch in exchange for baby snuggles before hitting the road again. Livi got to try Mechthilde's delicious cooking for the first time. Don't let that face fool you -- our typically finicky eater ate her fair share!


No comments:

Post a Comment