Honestly I haven't done the Black Friday thing in several years -- don't get me wrong, I love a deal as much as the next person but something about the huge, crazy crowds freaks me out. So imagine my relief to be living in a country where the day after the fourth Thursday in November doesn't have any special meaning. It's far less frenzied here this time of year (at least it felt that way to me), and I can't say I didn't mind the lack of "Go, go, go! Buy, buy buy!" mentality that tends to be so prevalent in the States. Having thoroughly enjoyed the Stuttgart Weinachtsmarkt on Thanksgiving, but not having enjoyed the rain that evening, Brian, Ellie and I went back downtown the next day and spent our first German "Black Friday" walking around the Christmas market a second time. As beautiful as it is all lit up at night, being able to better see all the decorations for the stalls in the daylight was great.
Brat, anyone?
Ellie practically jumped out of the BOB when she saw this merry-go-round, begging us to let her ride. Of course she picked the seat most closely resembling her beloved Nemo.
We found some small gifts to send home to friends and family for Christmas that morning and while there are many people that attend the Christmas market, especially on days with good weather, there is a very laid back feeling there. Maybe it's the Glühwein, maybe it's just the German mentality, but a girl could really get used to this!








No comments:
Post a Comment