Monday, July 23, 2012

The GREAT(!) Outdoors

I feel lately that in all my posts I have been complaining about how hot is has been here recently. While yes it has been pretty unbearable, the monsoon season has brought with it some cooler, albeit more humid, temperatures. We got a nice break from the heat last Wednesday so Ellie and I spent the entire morning outdoors, the most time we've spent outside in quite a while!

After breakfast, we made a trip to the park.


Go figure her favorite thing at the park would be the duck.


The rest of our morning was spent in the backyard, Ellie in her bathing suit playing with her water table (for almost TWO whole hours!) and me watching her while enjoying a surprisingly cool breeze under the shade.


Ellie also had her first taste of cherries.


Which she found delicious, and subsequently got all over her. 

Ellie also discovered the joys of playing with rocks and dirt.

She also discovered that mommy doesn't like her taking dirt out of the potted plants. Posting this next picture might seem a little insensitive, but it is a perfect example of what Ellie does these days when she isn't getting her way -- and it cracks me up. If I tell her "no" in response to something potentially dangerous she's doing or when I tell her it's time to leave when she doesn't want to go, first she'll challenge me by sitting down. If I try to pick her up or take her hand, she'll lay down on the ground in the ultimate toddler protest.

This is how she reacted when I told her she couldn't play in the plants anymore (see the dirt on her hands? So guilty!).

I'll say this much -- she certainly keeps me on my toes...

... but those eyes get me every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment