Saturday, February 25, 2012

Seven Falls

Weekly trips to Sabino Canyon are quickly becoming the norm around here as we try to soak in as much of this beautiful Tucson weather as we possibly can before the triple digits set in. Luckily that won't be for another three months or so, but they're coming! Brian and I had this brilliant idea to hike through Bear Canyon (on the other side of Sabino Canyon) to Seven Falls this morning. It's been on our list of places we want to go while we live in Tucson. The hike itself is a bit of a challenge, with seven stream crossings and plenty of uphill climbing. We prepped everything last night with the intention of getting up, eating breakfast, and heading out the door early this morning.

The reality was that we all slept in a little this morning, which was very much needed, and even with that minor setback we had hit the trail by 9. We took the BOB up to the trail head and from there Ellie rode in the hiking backpack. So many people we met on the trail positively commented on Ellie getting an early start with outdoor activity, and I couldn't help but beam a little. I really hope she grows up to enjoy the great outdoors!




It was an awesome hike on a beautiful morning.


We greatly underestimated the amount of time it would take to hike to the falls. What we thought would take a couple of hours round trip ended up taking a little over three (eight miles round trip), but the falls were completely worth seeing!

We haven't had much rainfall this winter, so they weren't quite as spectacular as I've heard they can be, but I'm so glad we made the trip.

Once we got down to the falls, we stopped for a snack (she's such a good sport for always indulging our outdoor antics).


And a few pictures (thanks to the women who offered to take a picture of the three of us!).


After checking the time, we high-tailed it back down the trail, getting back in half the time to get home, feed Ellie lunch and put her down for a nap. I was skeptical that she would even nap this afternoon, but thankfully, she's sleeping as I write this. :)

After a great start to the weekend, I think a low-key afternoon is in order!

No comments:

Post a Comment