Saturday, December 10, 2011

ONE YEAR!

Somehow, between the diaper changes, sleepless nights, many milestones and all the trials, tribulations and joys of having an infant, Ellie managed to turn one yesterday! So you'll forgive me if I spent the day soaking in every moment and getting as many cuddles, kisses, hugs and giggles from my now-toddler (sniff) as I possibly could.

It was a fairly low-key day (Brian, you would have been proud!) as the weather outside was cold and snowy. We even had the first noticeable snow of the season!


















Since her birthday with the family is tomorrow, I figured we would save most of the celebrating for then. My mom took the day off of work to spend the day with the birthday girl, who herself spent most of the day playing.



















And napping. Ellie took TWO glorious naps, as evidenced by the wispy flyaway hairs.  :)
















For dinner, Ellie ate what I can only assume is her favorite food -- butternut squash (very fitting, since it was the first solid food she had after baby cereal) with a side of potato soup and veggie puree. As usual, it was hard to get a picture of a full tray of food when she eats so fast!


















We're saving cake for her party, but I wanted to have a little something special for her actual birthday, so Ellie had ice cream for the first time!


















After getting over the initial cold shock, I think she liked it!


















Ellie at one year -- she's becoming more interactive and, if it is even possible, more delightful by the day. And oh, how this girl makes me laugh! She plays a game that involves holding out her sock for us to sniff and then we pretend to faint because of the "smell." She laughs, we laugh, it's hilarious. Her top two teeth are clearly visible now. She shakes her head no and signs for more, although she never seems to do it at the appropriate time when she would actually want more of anything. Everything has become an obstacle for her to climb and the stool here at my parents' house is her favorite place to practice standing, sometimes even letting go. She waves hello while saying a breathy "haaaaah" and waves goodbye with a "bah bah." I can see the gears in her head constantly turning as she figures things out. She's surprisingly destructive when it comes to knocking things over, but is characteristically dainty in the way she picks up a toy or, sadly, bumps her head, even just slightly. A few tears then a hug, kiss and distracting toy generally makes things better. She's easily humored, yet very serious at times. There's an awareness about Ellie that I haven't seen in a child her age, like she truly knows what is going on around her.

Ellie's still rocking the 12-hour-a-night sleeping schedule, going to bed at 7:30pm and getting up by 7:30am. We haven't attempted the transition to one nap since her adjusted age is only 10 1/2 months, but I know the day is coming soon. Some days she takes one nap, other days two, but the majority of the time she has the sweetest disposition, regardless of how many naps she's had. Life is definitely starting to feel much more manageable and tolerable with a one-year-old. Taking Ellie out and about seems like it will be much easier, even more so when she drops that second nap. Brian will be amazed at how much his little girl has changed in just a few short months.

Considering how her life began, we have been so blessed with how well she has thrived this first year, but I will always wonder where the time went.

No comments:

Post a Comment