Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pregnancy Notes: The First Trimester

Since I was several weeks past the half-way point of this pregnancy when we announced it, and now I'm into the third trimester (seriously, where is the time going?!?), I wanted to take a look at my pregnancy so far...

If I could sum up that first trimester in one word it would be -- rough. We found out I was pregnant in the middle of January during our weekend trip to Erding and about a week later, those lovely pregnancy symptoms started. Nausea, never-ending tiredness, sore boobs, the works.

I was very green around the gills for all of the first trimester and even halfway through the second. Luckily I never actually got sick to my stomach, but making meals and eating in general wasn't all that appealing or appetizing. I remember one night in particular when I was peeling -- of all things -- a butternut squash and had to walk away several times feeling extremely sick. Really? Butternut squash? Green vegetables were also a major turn-off, so salads (one of my favorites meal-time sides and lunches) were a no-go. I found myself instead gravitating towards cereals -- Lucky Charms in particular. Ahhh, they were magically delicious and I plead the fifth as to how many boxes I consumed. :)

It was good timing that Ellie started school right around when we found out I was pregnant because I spent the first hour most school days on the couch trying to muster up whatever energy I could to get a few things done around the house or run a few errands. After school pick-up and lunch time, I would find myself drawn back to the couch like clock-work around 2pm -- if this was ever a time I would love to have had my napping toddler back, this would have been it! Ellie was fairly content to play or read while I laid listlessly on the couch, but there were many times she would come over and say (very loudly), "But MOM! Wake up! It's day time!"

Surprisingly, the seasickness and tiredness were actually somewhat tolerable, but it was those pesky pregnancy hormones which threw me for a loop!

Seeing as this was our first real winter (however mild, I know I keep saying it!) since 2006, the short, gray days coupled with first trimester hormones really did a number on my mood. I found myself very sad most days, and longing for our life back in Tucson where the winters were mild and sunny days plentiful. I felt like I was missing out on something but I couldn't tell you what it was. I kept telling myself, "You're living in Europe! Why do you want to be anywhere else??" but the complications of living a life overseas were overwhelming at the time and many days I just wanted to crawl back into bed and not deal with it.

Most of all, it affected how well (or not so well) Ellie and I got along, and there were many afternoons that ended in tears. My patience was at zero and we both suffered because of it. Brian would come home from work to an exhausted, frazzled and (most days) very weepy wife along with an upset toddler who had no idea where her real mother went. It was a trying time for all involved.

Not to paint a picture of first trimester doom and gloom, but it really was rough going for a while. That said, there were several bright spots during that time, the best being our first OB visit in February with the confirmation of the baby's heartbeat, and the second almost a month later to see our little bean had grown into a recognizable person! What a relief it was to have those first two ultrasounds after our previous experience and to feel like we could breath much easier. My parents also came for their visit in March/April, which gave me a nice break -- or at least Ellie someone to play with when I was too tired. There was a light at the end of the tunnel... the end of my first trimester and the beginning of the second when I (finally!) started feeling less sick and more energized!

I have not been nearly as diligent about taking weekly belly pics as I was with Ellie (I only took one during the first three months this time around!), but here are a few pictures from the first trimester:

Eleven weeks.


Baby's first picture.


Second visit and my how you've grown!



No comments:

Post a Comment