Thursday, September 27, 2012

Ellie's First Babysitter (aka -- Date Night!)

After several months during which we have either been out of town or too busy on the weekends, Brian and I decided enough was enough and scheduled ourselves for a much-needed date night. Previously, we've only ever left Ellie in the care of my parents when they've been in town or with our friends when we've been on vacation with them. That's one tough part of living far away from my parents who would normally jump at the chance to watch Ellie -- all those date nights can really add up when you're paying a sitter! Even so, Brian and I both agree how important it is to get out as just a couple.

Luckily, I got a recommendation for an excellent sitter from a friend. We especially wanted to find one for a wedding we're attending at the end of next month and wanted to get Ellie used to her before then, so what better excuse than a date night! I saw Shannon (our sitter) in action at my friend's house when I was there for a girl's get together and she was watching their kids. She's a college student at the U of A and I was very impressed with how professional, yet friendly, she was when I called her. She happened to be free this past Saturday, so we booked her to watch Ellie while we went out for a dinner date.

Shannon came over about 45 minutes before Ellie's bedtime, and Ellie took to her right away by immediately asking her to read a book. When it came time for Brian and I to leave, I asked Ellie for a kiss and she shook her head! Honestly, I find it much easier that way instead of her clinging to us begging us not to go. I got one kiss out of her before Brian and I headed out the door. We drove up to Loews Ventana Canyon resort and enjoyed a delicious dinner at the Flying V Bar and Grill. Afterwards we walked around the resort grounds enjoying music from that evening's band. It felt so nice to have some alone time between us, where our conversations aren't constantly interrupted with disciplining and diaper changes. I think I speak for both of us when I say we feel much more refreshed as a couple -- well worth every penny!

When we got back home, Shannon gave us a great report. Ellie had picked up her toys and settled into bed without so much as a peep. She did wake up once, but it turns out she had thrown her duck and blanket out of the crib. She went right back to sleep as soon as she had them back. All in all, a very easy night for Shannon -- and I'm so glad we've found a sitter that Ellie already loves! It left Brian and I wondering why we hadn't done this sooner, but I can say we're already looking forward to our next date night!

No comments:

Post a Comment