Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Bisbee 1000, 2011

This past Saturday we all trekked down to Bisbee, Arizona, for the 21st annual Bisbee 1000. It is an unusual race in that, although the distance is a little over a 5k, it actually feels more like a 10k because scattered throughout the course are sets of stone stairs that all together add up to about 1000 steps. Along the way, musicians play for the participants and spectators. It's a blast to run and has gathered quite a following among running enthusiasts, with competitors showing up from all over the country. To say Brian is disappointed that he missed it this year would be a big understatement.

This race is particularly special to me.  It was my first official race (is a race only "official" if you have to pay for it?) and the first major event I remember doing when Brian and I moved to Tucson in 2009.  That year we drove down with our good friends Brent and Sara Cunningham.  Brian and I ran with Brent, while Sara took pictures since she was eight months pregnant with Braden, who is now almost two years old(!). I also scored my first official race t-shirt that year (yes, "official" because I had to pay for that, too). However, I haven't worn it since because the race organizers thought it would be a brilliant idea to make that year's t-shirt color what would best be described as Dwight Shrute mustard yellow.

Brian and I before the 2009 race (oh, what can change in just two years!):



















Last year I was pregnant so I watched Braden and was on photographer duty while Brent and Sara ran (Brian was deployed). This year I was very excited to run again and Sara is pregnant (we just keep expanding!) so she was able to watch Ellie.

Unfortunately, the race itself was somewhat of a disappointment for me. I was hoping to meet or better my personal record for the run, but ended up finishing five minutes over. It was unseasonably warm and the course (which changes every year) seemed especially challenging this year. I'm sure lack of good training probably had a hand in that, too -- something about having a baby really cuts into training time, even though she is a great running partner. :)

I must say she makes an adorable addition to the cheering section (even if she thinks I need a shower, which I'm sure I did).

No comments:

Post a Comment